Monday, October 05, 2009

Madelyn has Arrived!




Madelyn Grace Sharp was born on her due date, September 24th, 2009 at 4:50 am in Yokosuka, Japan. She is such a perfect baby! She's very content, loves to eat, sleep, and explore the world around her.

The day I went into labor I had gone for a long walk with my friend Jill May and her baby Lilia. Shortly after that I started feeling what I wasn't quite sure were contractions or not. I also went to the gym and rode the elliptical, but noticed the contractions were starting to get a bit more uncomfortable, so decided to not do the elliptical but about 20 minutes. By 4:00 I sat down to watch Oprah, as usual, and noticed the contractions were now regular (about 8-10 min apart). By 5:00, they were about 5-8 minutes apart. I had plans to make dinner for neighbors that night. I was in denial that this was really labor....I kept thinking that maybe it was nothing. Greg insisted I call the hospital and let them know what was happening. They said wait until my contractions were 3-5 minutes apart for 1-2 hours. So while I was cooking, they were increasing in intensity and growing closer and closer together. My stubborn self insisted on finishing dinner and not canceling plans. Once we sat down for dinner (around 5:30), they were definitely 3 minutes apart. So after 2 hours of 3 minute apart contractions we left for Yokosuka Hospital. Once in the car they were 1-2 minutes apart and getting very uncomfortable. We arrived at the hospital at 8:30 and I was definitely close. The doctor had us walk around for an hour and a half and admitted me around 10:00. I took the epidural at 11:00 and it was all good from there! I had to be on an antibiotic for at least 4 hours before pushing. At 4:15 am I began pushing and Madelyn arrived at 4:50 am. She was immediately placed in my arms and had no problems with feeding right away. I couldn't imagine the overwhelming feeling of love that I immediately had for her! We still can't quit starring at her! She is the most beautiful baby we have ever seen! (I am sure most parents think the same thing, but we really believe it)

We stayed at the hospital for 48 hours. Daddy and I were exhausted, and we couldn't wait to get her home and show her her nursery! She has a fairy nursery full of pink! Definitely a girly girl. She is sleeping and eating every 2-3 hours, just like babies are suppose to do! We couldn't have asked for a more easy going baby.

1 comment:

Laurie said...

She is so precious! Can't wait to meet her!